Updated: Dec 13, 2019
We knew one seacock needed replacing because the handle fell off when we tried to open and shut it. But we weren't ready for the amount we needed to replace. Not only are they expensive, you have to be a contortionist to be able to take them out. We replaced all four of the ones for the aft head, three for the forward head, the strainer for the air conditioner plus more over the water through hulls.
First we had to remove the old brass through hulls so we could put new ones in. That was a challenge. Somehow we got the old 5200 adhesive off so that could be accomplished. We had to measure them and order new ones. Instead of just putting in new seacocks, we put in flanges so that to replace the seacocks again, it would would be a whole lot easier. But, if proper maintenance is done on them like should have happened to the old ones, these things will last a very long time.
When we got the Groco parts in, we had to dry fit them. If they didn't fit correctly, we had to grind them down. All of this we accomplished with hand tools. We had no work bench. We had just what was available outside, which actually was a lot better than what we had after we got on the water. We had more room.
After we replaced the flanges, all the hoses needed to be replaced because they were all dry and brittle. It took forever to find the right size hoses because this is a french-made boat. That became a common theme as we replaced everything. What should take five minutes, took days. Online ordering became a necessity. So basically the story is, to Americanize this boat, it was going to take a whole lot of work. To make it usable for us, that was what we were going to have to do.